1. Has relevant personal information been gathered?
Date of birth
Legal state of residence
Health status, including medications being taken
Family members available for support
Name, phone number, and address of attorney, physician, geriatric care manager or other advisor
2. Has the financial situation been assessed?
Income from Social Security, pension, employment, or other sources
Long-Term Care Planning
1. Is the need for long-term care imminent?
2. Are assets sufficient to cover long-term care needs?
3. Have ways to fund long-term care been reviewed/evaluated?
4. If homeowner, has home equity as a use of funds been discussed?
5. Are long-term care insurance benefits available?
6. Have various housing options and their costs been considered?
Living with a relative
Continuing care retirement community
1. Is adequate health insurance available?
Private health insurance
2. Have Medicaid planning goals and strategies been considered?
3. Has Medicaid qualification criteria been discussed?
4. Has the need for long-term care insurance been established?
5. Is long-term care insurance coverage available to the client?
6. Have existing long-term care insurance policies been reviewed/evaluated?
7. Does long-term care insurance coverage need to be upgraded?
8. Do long-term care benefits need to be accessed?
1. Has long-term care planning been coordinated with estate planning needs?
2. Have appropriate estate planning documents been prepared?
3. Have advanced medical directives been prepared?
Durable power of attorney
4. Have letters of instruction been prepared?
5. Has this information been communicated to family members?
1. Has the need for organizing important documents and records been discussed?
Bank account records (statements and passbooks)
Monthly bills to be paid
Stock certificates, bonds, and other investment records
Retirement plan statements
Real estate deeds, mortgages, and other property ownership records
Will, trust, advanced medical directives, letters of instruction, and other documents
Birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, military service papers